Saturday, December 02, 2006

Smoked Out at Tom's

It was something I just had to do. I mean growing up in the clubs and bars in Halifax the past 30 years, tobacco smoke had always been a part of the environment. Until recently, when we have rounded up all the sinners and put them into little terrariums to smoke their brains out, and if we can trick them, give us even more of their money by playing the fruit machines.

But someone rained on the party. Seems it was not enough to win, the anti smoking Nazis had to grind people's faces in it. Of course, there has been little thought as to what will happen now - my guess is that we will see an increase in cancer from second hand smoke, as those people who used to puff in the bars that has smoking areas will now do so at home, and poison their kids, instead of other smokers, and consenting adults.

I have seen people who really really want to quit, but just can't. I never did, but I have witnessed true addictions.

Of course, the businesses who depended on smokers are now faced with having to change or go out of business. Tom's Little Havana is known as a cigar bar. But no more. You can't use that product there anymore.

Last Thursday, November 30, was the last chance to light up in semi-private in Nova Scotia, at least legally. This was one of those things where I had to attend. I go to Tom's a lot, because I have friends who have the habit, not because I like to have my clothes smell like shit the next day.

I sat at the end of the bar with two off-shift staff, Denise (my long time buddy) and Rachel, who I know only in passing, and Penelope, who most people in the downtown recognize. We had a lot of fun chatting with all the people who came in for a last smoke, or just to see smoke in a bar. Half of Halifax's bar staff visited. Owners of other bars and restaurants, former staff, people who used to be in the biz (including Tom himself) and a bunch of familiar faces from the old Thackery's/Duck/Jury Room days. And a whole pile of irrelevant political types, too.

The cigars were on for 1/2 price - so I smoked a wee one (OK, 2), just for the occasion. They went great with Garrison Brown Ale.

At the end, sharing a cab home with Penelope, we could only agree that it was worth it to have been there, to witness the passing of an era.

The next day, a normally busy Friday, there were only 25 people in Tom's at 6:30. But I bet the already fabulous food tasted better.

No comments: