Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Local Joint

I suppose that janes on the common is my true local restaurant, but I can't bring myself to think of it as "a joint". That title falls more to Freemans New York on Quinpool, where the crowd is relaxed, and somewhat changing, and the pizza really good, if you like the style of crust they do (which I do).

This place always impresses me in that they have Garrison and Propeller beer on tap, and it is always fresh when I visit. The staff are usually very professional, and very down to earth, which I find makes me very comfortable.

We sat near the bar, and I got a pint of Propeller Bitter very promptly, and we ordered a salad, Mousakka for L, and a Pizza for me, large enough to take some home for someone's lunch the next day.

I had to promise that I would not watch the sports on TV, and I managed OK with that, although I admit to being distracted by two couples over in the corner. I may be wrong, but they sure looked like two big guys in off the rigs for some shore time R&R (nudge nudge wink wink say no more) with two of Halifax's finest "best girlfriends your money can buy". When the girls came by on a trip to the ladies room (travelling in pairs), they got close enough to strengthen my initial suspicion. But I could be wrong.... They could be teachers, or something...


The salad (a simple caesar) was competent - most likely dressing from a big plastic pail, but OK, and the Romaine was fresh, the croutons snappy. It took a while, but the pizza arrived (with another Propeller) in fine form. The crust here is fluffy and crispy at the same time. Very bready. The meats on it come shredded, and evenly distributed over the pie - just very good "za".

Joe, the manager of Ginger's, was at the bar having a beer and a snack, and I said hi on the way out. Like me, this place is close for him, and as he said, "there's just something about the place I like". I agree.

Maybe it is all the brass rails in there, reminding us of our training days, learning to drink in the bars downtown.... Or maybe it is just the entertainment over in the corner.

No comments: