Monday, December 11, 2006

janes on the common - dinner out

I already commented on how good jane's is for lunch, but last week we put it to a real dining out test. Dinner for four, during the busy time of the evening, around 7:00 pm. I think I have mentioned this mentioned before, but I am known there, as it is practically in my back yard.

Just one night after eating at Chives, we went out to jane's with my golf buddy Geoff and his wife Judy. After a preparatory drink and we walked over around 7 on a Wednesday night for dinner. It was about 15 minute wait for a table, but we did OK, and got the big old dining room table.

The specials on the board usually intrigue me, and this evening was no different. I ended up ordering both the soup and the main from the special board. Other choices around the table differed, except that most of us opted for the soup, advertised as "four onion and potato".

The wines, all served by the glass, carafe or bottle, I help the place choose them, so I cannot really comment fairly on them. Suffice to say they were served promptly, and were not corked. The odd thing about the service for the entire evening, for me, was that we seemed to be served "by committee". I know this is done in other places, but I am not used to it here, normally dining as a twosome, or even alone at the bar, I am more used to one person busing, and another doing the rest.

The soup was very tasty, and I ate it quickly, despite having ordered a bowl (I would normally order a cup). My only quibble was that is was more a gruel than a soup. Is it still called soup if you take out a spoonful and the hole you made isn't filled in by what remains in the bowl? It was hearty, and tasty, and hot. Darn fine soup, or gruel. My Eagle Tree Muscat was great with it.

My main course was a breaded veal, with the carbohydrate of the day and mixed veg. It was here that I was a bit let down from past performances at this restaurant. First, I count sweet potato as one of the things that counts as a side veg, not a main course carbohydrate. I don't really like it in any large amount, and here it was, taking the rightful place of real potatoes, rice, perogies, whatever! The veal was OK, but not as interesting as I have come to expect the food here to be, and a bit on the tough side. Chewey.

I have to point out that my dining companions fared better than I, enjoying their courses from the regular dinner menu. But one of my rules - the special HAS to be as good, or better than anything on the menu - was broken.

I took a chance and tried a white wine, the Boira Pinot Grigio from the Veneto, and it showed quite well with the veal, showing off the body this wine has while staying the course with adequate acidity.

Desserts were, as usual, just about perfect. This is one of the best places for those of us with a sweet tooth in the city. Creme Caramel done right.

Of course, as always with jane's, the finale, and maybe the best part, is the bill. $147 for four people each with three courses and three of us drinking wine.

And even better, Geoff picked up the tab. There was some very serious business discussion we had during dinner, of course.

No comments: