Sunday, December 17, 2006

Fish and Chips in the BLIP Commercial Ghetto

I normally avoid it like the visual and social plague that it is, but every now and then, BLIP, which is to Clayton Park like Clayton Park is to Downtown Halifax, calls me.

Normally it is just the place to go to get your car legitimately stolen, so you can get a new one with the insurance. Just park near the theatres beside a panel van, and "poof", gone like Cinderella's panties in the pumpkinmobile.

This trip it was to try the fish and chips at Freddie’s Fantastic Fish House. They have recently moved from their trailer on the Peggy's Cove Road, where I frequented them last summer, to a very hard to get to, small, and now fatty smelling space on some cul-de-sac with a big survey firm (SDMM) on the end of it. Look for wider survey lines being cut through the woods this winter!!

The fish was very good, clean, fresh, and with a tasty batter that did enough, but not too much. The fries were yummy, but, and this is a first for me in Halifax, they were a bit on the short side in terms of serving size! The fish had one minor fault, in my fishy books - it was a tad mushy. I am not infirm (yet), and I don't want my fish to be (yet). I still have my teeth, you know.

This place was good, and if you ever find yourself in the scorching hell that is the Bayers Lake Industrial Park cum big box haven of the damned, go there for lunch and you will feel slightly better about yourself, despite having defiled your senses by even being in the park.

But Phil's is still the best "Fish and" in my book, and this is my book.

And watch out for fat surveyors.... there are no crosswalks or sidewalks out there, they may be waddling in the road.

No comments: