Friday, December 22, 2006

O'Carroll's - the Return on my Birthday

I went back to O'Carroll's on my birthday, having a quiet lunch alone to contemplate my sorry existence. I chose the aforementioned fish cakes, after being assured by Bruce that they were indeed made there, by Colin. Yummy.

Had a few pints, including Pumphouse Scotch, Propeller Bitter, and Pumphouse Winter Warmer, and then a few of my friends arrived.

Needless to say, the evening continued apace. I started at 2 pm, and I think I hit the pillow at 2 am.

Most of the rest of the evening was spent at Rogues Roost, which is essentially my local. I am drawn for the beer, but I still eat there a fair amount. This day, I continued with the brain food theme and enjoyed the always excellent pan fried haddock with a baked potato. Several friends, including my brother and his wife, in from Calgary for Xmas, joined us, and we enjoyed a really great classic pub experience. Close friends in semi intelligent dicussion around great beer.

The evening ended up at home, following a ride in the cab turned birthdaymobile driven by Richard at Dusk til Dawn. Drank Orval with my brother until it was time to acknowledge that I really am now 49, the solstice was over, but I could go to bed secure in the knowledge that the days are now getting longer.

1 comment:

Brewnoser said...

Yesterday, someone from O'Carrols called me (not sure how they got my phone number) to let me know they now have an IPA on tap.

On arriving at Rogues for my usual Friday beer crowd, one of the regulars indicated that they were at O'Carrols for Brunch last week and were not impressed. They indicated that the food was ordinary, and the place, seen by light of day, was filthy.

I can't comment on the last part, being immune to noticing dirt, according to L.

I'm going back to drink IPA until I am looking under the tables....

I'd love to know if it is Propeller, or Pumphouse IPA, but either will do, as long as it is not Keith's, which is, as we all know, NOT an IPA. They just lie on the label.