Sunday, February 25, 2007

Wine of the Week, February 23, 2007

Anakena Chardonnay Reserve, Chile, 2006 ($12.12)

I am on a bit of a Chardonnay revival of late, trying to find nice clean examples of the Queen of Grapes. After my Niagara trip, where I sampled a lot of Chardonnay, I had to admit that some are yummy, just not the overoaked monster things.

This wine sets out what it tries to do - it is a nice, clean, well made simple white wine. It has some pleasant tropical, peach and stone fruit aroma and some clean fresh varietal Chardonnay flavour (heavens, it tastes like the grape!).

Oak, used very sparingly, hardly makes itself known, but it is there in small background hints.

It reminded me of "off-Burgundy" Chardonnay I have had before (like Macon, or St. Veran), an idea that is later reinforced by a taster who does that stuff for a living.

So, don't be afraid, come back to the Chard, but don't waste your money on oak.

This wine can be consumed as a drink, preferrably sipping with friends on a deck, chilled to about 7 - 8 degrees C, or with light foods, and fish with some flavour, like trout.

And the price is right.

No comments: