Saturday, February 17, 2007

One Show at One World

I went to see part of the "In the Dead of Winter" music festival happening in Halifax the week before the ECMA's flew into town with their government grants and money sucking bureaucrats. This festival, organized by a few performers (actual musicians, not the lampreys and leeches from the "Music Industry", my apologies to Steve Coady if he ever reads this, but remember Steve - you used to play for money, you are for real) brought a lot of local talent close to my door on a Saturday when I needed a break from the pubs, and from the responsibilities, what little I have, in life.

I arrived during the first songwriters circle, direct from Dal Theatre's latest production (a fairly surreal piece of theatre) right in the middle of a song by a guy I later found out to be named Royal Wood. I know that sounds a bit like a bathroom fixture product, but this guy can sing. I have to say he has the best voice I have heard from a male singer locally, maybe ever. But then again, it seems that he is from Toronto and was just visiting. Well, at least he is Canadian. I am buying his album, and predicting great things.

Next Pamela Underwater came out and did her set, based on some very tasteful vocals in a loop, plus some guitar or bass lines and building a song from scratch with the machine (a sequencer, or something like that?) She was very good at this, and was able ot cast some kind of ambience/spell over the place once she got going. I saw Danny Michel do this last fall, perhaps in a bit more technically competent manner, but not with the level of art she managed. My only complaint was that the thing was on the floor in front of her, and about all we saw of her was her hair hiding her face as she bent over to play with the thing. Pamela - buy a stand for the sucker!

Another song circle followed with David Myles, Tanya Davis, and Melissa Trottier (Dave Carmichael's partner). This was as good a song swap as I've seen anywhere, with Myles' sincere friendly personality and high level of musicianship anchoring Tanya's honest, sometimes painfully so, songs of love being sought and seldom found; and Melissa's beauty, in song and person. I suppose the highlight for most was the singalong-ability of Myles' "I'm Getting Old" a local CBC "hit", that everyone in the place knew the chorous of, and demonstrated that knowledge. I kinda have Melissa's last song, in French, about swans on the lake in Switzerland where she and Dave were staying/working last year stuck in my head.

I was really there to see Andy McDaniel, ex of Leonard Conan, do his first live set in years. Andy is better known as one of those guys at Sam the Record man who knows what you want before you go in. Andy came on, and set a beautiful groove with his thrown together band of Halifax based musicians. They made a great sound in the place, with his quirky, but likeable vocals mixing tunes, old and new. My favourite was his last, flying solo without backup. Turns out it is a new tune - so Andy is writing songs!

Next up was a guy named Joe Belly (no I am not kidding, and no, he was not fat). He had an honest, slightly high pitched and raspy voice, and some fun songs. I thnk we'll see more of him in time, as I think he is on the edge of better things.

The last act I could stay for was Ruth Minnikin, she of Guthries and Heavy Blinkers fame. Her solo act is quiet, introspective, sometimes funny, and sometimes very beautiful. I do enjoy her song about the spider that came to stay with her for a summer. Dave Christensen, one of the music gurus who make Heavy Blinkers run sat in on flute, doing his usual tastful job of filling and running with the tunes.

I went home, and inspired by the afternoon's aroma filled space from the heathy food kitchen at One World (God the pizza smelled fine), proceeded to make a cake, and a better than average supper, letting the smell of food fill my space too.

Who needs the Eck-maas?

Well, we'll see next week.

No comments: