Saturday, February 10, 2007

Chef on the Common

My wine friend, C, and his wife D were coming into town and she wanted to try eating at jane's on the common. This couple has eaten pretty well all over the world, but living outside the city in winter, the best she can do is to have him cook for her. Now for most couples, that would mean that meals might be somewhat limited, but in her case D has access to the skills of one of Nova Scotia's most travelled, well known, and, in the chef world, influential chefs. You see C may be one of my wine geek buddies, but he is also a Chef & Certified Sommelier and Manager of Culinary Team Nova Scotia, our "Provincial Cooking Team".

In short, when he eats at a restaurant, usually the people making the food get a bit anxious. I have been with him at one high end restaurant in Halifax when all the kitchen staff essentially filed out by rank to welcome him, almost like kissing the Pope's ring.

After a couple glasses of Rosé Prosecco, we walk around the corner and find ourselves looking at a 20 minute wait for a table of 4 (L was joining us later).

While at the bar, Jane, who is working, strikes up a conversation, as she usually does. Then she turns to C "You're a chef, aren't you?" I had been trying to keep some anonymity, but apparently that is shot. Plus I did not want him thinking I told her he was coming. But no, turns out she just recognized him. She is, after all, a fairly acute business person, with a somewhat "political" background, so I suppose that is to be expected.

Anyway, we get a table, in time, and L arrives almost as we are being led to it. We order some red wines by the glass (the Jost Trilogy tasted great, simply yummy) and ordered starters, Shrimp Cake for L, salads for C and D and a mushroom tart for me. All were very well received.

Main courses, the daily special Lamb Shank for C and L, and steaks for D and I (I know, we were kinda boring with our orders). My rare steak came medium (in my books, anyway) and D's medium was more like medium well. Great cuts, and tasty (I love Stilton on my beef, it slows up my arteries and keeps me from running into things...)but cooked longer than they should have been for what we asked. C did not enthuse over his main, but was not complaining either, and D did catch him chewing the last morsels directly off the bone, admonishing him about his table manners! My sense was that the lamb was how it should be.

Desserts followed, my Creme Caramel pretty well perfect, C's Chocolate Hazelnut Torte enjoyed, but too much weight for him to finish after the lamb, D's baked Jona Gold Apple with raisins and other things reportedly "delicious", and L's Gingerbread gone like a new Titlist into the lake.

But the fun part was that there was no apparent homage paid. No-one from the kitchen was seen, though in time the place had slowed near the end of the evening and they would not have been overly busy in there. No, C didn't get worshipped like I thought he might.

I enjoyed Jane's light touch, whether she did so deliberately, or not, allowing him to experience the place the way the rest of us do. He is in the business, after all, and should be able to experience the place like anyone else would, so that he can honestly advise others as to whether to go or not. I think C was happy with this, at least I think he was. I know that chefs all have egos - you have to, to do what they do for a living, but he seems to be self assured enough that his ego does not need the stroking that some do. And a good thing, too, because he wasn't getting it this evening!

No comments: