Monday, February 19, 2007

Shock the Monkey

Post ECMA's for me, pre award show for L, we walk over to The Wooden Monkey for a bite to eat. We had looked in at Little Fish, but it was closed, and the Monkey beckoned.

I love their Seitan Sandwich, to the point where it has been almost all I have ever had here. This trip will be different, I vow.

We started with the Japanese Soy Dumplings. These are very toasty dumplings, served in a hot sauce that is red pepper and hot pepper based, I am guessing. My Propeller Pale Ale is tasty and, BONUS - fresh local product.

L has the lemon haddock - baked haddock in a nice crusty covering, with the baked fries, and salad stuff. Her fish is really good, and manages to not taste overcooked, or mushy either. I have the Braised Beef Sandwich, which comes with a side cup of a dipping sauce/jus and ketchup, the baked fries, and salad stuff (no dressing, so I left it for the garnish it was). This was really really tasty - beefy good, especially after I dumped the dipping sauce on it. The dipping sauce helped with the oven fries, which we a bit on the dry side. (Maybe they read the Chowhound post by Jim Leff on their fries- why not just fry them if you use that much fat anyway - and are trying to limit the fat now?).

We still had time for dessert, though its arrival took an inordinate time. L had the pumpkin pie and I chose the soy silk chocolate pie. Her's tasted like real food, but the crust was more like some other type of pastry, not piecrust. Good, but sort of "trendyfood". My chocolate pie may have been from all natural ingredients, and maybe even good for me, but it still reminded me of something from the freezer section of the supermarket. One way to get good things into your kids, I guess.

Dinner for 2, ordering light, with a juice, one beer, desserts and grat was $74.

While we were eating, on person from a table of out of towners, in for the ECMA's, who had been taking cell phone calls all through their dinner, thanked the waitress for being able to eat out - she had food allergies and sensitivities and never got to eat out. I was wondering why she did not think to have her companions turn off their cellphones and let the rest of us enjoy our dinner too. I think I am developing sensitivities to cellphones in restaurants.

Such is the Wooden Monkey. Trying to do things right, despite its customers. Me included, having ignored the seitan for real beef. Oh well, it's my heart attack.

No comments: