Friday, October 20, 2006

Champers in Digby.... or Chef Claude blows us away, again....

Saturday October 14 shall live in infamy in any record of my financial affairs. That was the date that I discovered what the heck all the fuss is about with Champagne. I confess, I blame it all on one Claude Aucoin, Executive Chef & Certified Sommelier, at the Digby Pines Golf Resort and Spa.

For the third year in a row, I attended Chef Claude's wine dinner. Now the past two years, it was a fairly easy thing. I already liked the wines that he had chosen as a theme. White Burgundy, well YUM! Red Bordeaux, also a yum, and after we saw what he served, more than that. But this year, Champagne, I was a bit reluctant. However, fortified by my now faithful lieutenants, the stylish, beautiful, intelligent, and astute tasters, Amy and Susan, I was prepared to be convinced that allowing CO2 to form in a bottle, and create pressure, was not a fault in the winemaking process.

Well, suffice it to say that I now have a problem. There is not one bottle of Champagne in my cellar. Oh, Claude, what have you done?!

Well, here is what he did.


First Course
French Style Scrambled Eggs with Sturgeon Caviar
Borage Leaf Tempura with Prosciutto, Sage and Bocconcini
Smoked Salmon with Celery Root Salad

With the following Champagnes.....
Diebolt-Vallois Cuvée Prestige ~ N.V.
Tarlant la Vigne d'Antan - Non Gréffée ~ 1997
De Saint Gall 1er Cru ~ 1998
De Saint Gall Grand Cru ~ 1998
Pierre Gimmonet Brut 1er Cru "Fleurons" ~ 1999


Second Course
Sautéed Veal Sweet Bread and Lobster served in Puff Pastry
with Fresh Passion Fruit and Noilly Prat Sauce
Leeks and Pea Purée

With the following Champagnes (a Rosé Course)
Duval-Leroy Rosé de Saignée ~ N.V.
Laurent Perrier Cuvée Rosé Brut ~ N.V.
Tarlant Brut Prestige Rosé ~ 1997
Piper-Heidsieck Rosé ~ N.V.
Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosé ~ N.V.

* * * * * *

Demi Tasse of Light Cream of White Asparagus

* * * * * *

Third Course
Roasted Veal Loin with Arugula Pesto, Mushroom Sauce and a touch of White Truffle Oil
Seared Butter Poached Yukon Gold Potato and Pink Oyster Mushrooms
Torchon of Foie Gras with Micro Greens, Seared Plumbs and Pan Jus

With the following Champagnes (really, I'm not kidding)
Tarlant Cuvée Louis ~ 1996 & 1997
Krug Grande Cuvée Brut ~ N.V.
Perrier Jouet Cuvée La Belle Epoque ~ 1998
Henriot 1996 Vintage ~ 1996
Henriot 1990 Vintage ~ 1990
Bollinger Special Cuvée ~ N.V.

Selection of Fine Imported Cheeses

And of course, some Ports....
Silval Vintage Port Quinta Do Noval ~ 1995
Dennis McLaren Vale Old Tawny

Selection of Fine Pastries (like we needed them)


Okay, so the Ports were not exactly stellar (I drank the Dennis, becasue I love it) but by this time, I am glad Claude did not waste the really good stuff on a bunch of bubbled imbibers.

Currently, I am reviewing my credit card limits......

No comments: