Sunday, March 11, 2007

Johnny's - The Breakfast

After our pleasant trip to Johnny's Snack Bar earlier in the week for supper, I propose a morning hike over to have breakfast.

A brisk morning walk is just the thing to revive the near dead, and as long as there is coffee waiting at the end, the 10 minute walk is great.

We get the booth by the window, and I make sure L gets the side with no-one behind her to jostle her with the shared seat back.

Coffee comes, served by what may be the son of the owners. He is great, on the ball, and definitely more awake than us.

I order a cheese omelet and ask for homefries, ready to pay the extra for them - "Oh, no," he says, "they come with the breakfasts!" Things are looking up. L orders sausage and eggs (what is up with the sausages, that's twice she has ordered them here?).

The food comes right away, in about 5 minutes. The home fries are fabulous. Real potato, hand cut into dollar size, or bigger, slices and fried dark golden brown. Cooked through, and hot. My omelet, almost predictably, uses processed cheese. This parallels my dinner experience, where I had from-scratch fried chicken, but was served frozen french fries. It is like they do some things the old way, but some of the newer, less authentic foods, and shortcuts are creeping into their menu. If there had been real cheddar in that omelet....

I steal one of L's sausages (hey, they served her, 6 or so)and I get a glimpse of why she ordered them again. They are browned and crispy on the outside, but normal sausage meat inside. It is a fine eating experience to bite through that crispy case into the tasty filing inside. The coffee is as good as diner coffee gets, and the refills keep coming. L's eggs are done as she asked, the toast is whole wheat, and the cost, well, less than $10 for the two of us. What more can you ask?

I just wish I had a camera to show you those home fries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the son of the owners. I heard there was a death in the family a short while ago, but I didn't hear who.

Johnny's is terrific, I've been going there for 10+ years now. And the homefries may well be Halifax's best.

Brewnoser said...

They are calling me back.