Friday, March 16, 2007

Home on the Grange

Wine buddy and former local star chick sommelier A was in town for a brief hello before heading back to winemaking school. We met down at Mosaic for a drink and some snacks, and I had invited some other wine geeks out to say hi, and imbibe.

Not many of them showed. You losers!

One who did show was the co-owner of the place, and A's former employer.

As the party grew in number, we pretty well tasted everything on their tapas style menu. Highlights included the Chevre/Asparagus/Beet salad, the Pork Belly, Steak (from PEI, apparently), Lamb Riblets, Duck with Mushroom Spring Roll, and Tuna Sushimi, but it really was all very good. The shellfish things looked good too. They disappeared pretty fast.

Then up to Seven afterward and, in honour of her visit, the co-owner allowed A to raid the cellar. This resulted in an open bottle of 93 Grange. This wine is $800 a bottle on the list there, and I got an entire glass, so I took my time with it. I think I nursed it for about two hours. The wine was very tight at first, and although the cork was near the end of its life (nearly penetrated to the top on one side) the wine was young, with a lot of primary fruit and good tannins remaining. It probably had 10 more years left on it, if the cork could hang in. In time it opened up, and displayed incredibly deep spicy Shiraz aroma, and a very classy palate that could have been fine French wine.

A local Coca Cola rep was with us, and he started buying weird shooter type things with energy beverages and girlie liqueurs... tasting them between the Grange.... well that was a bit surreal. I examined a 6 oz can of something called Tab. The amount of legalese disclaimer type lingo on it was amazing. It's a wonder I am still alive. Perhaps they now own something of mine and I just don't know it yet.

But back to the wine. Drinking the Grange called to mind a story that Australian winery owner Alan Heath told me about the blocks of vines from whence come the grapes for this wine, and that his block of 100 year old vines had been used on occasion as a source. I looked up over my glass rim, and there, in front of me, was Alan. Displaying his usual larger than life grin, he was offering his hand "How are ya mate!". I was a bit startled at my almost having summoned him to the bar from the other side of the planet, and took more time than I should have before acknowledging the presence of another A lady, right beside me. I shared tiny bits of the wine with them, Alan guessing it to be a Penfolds RWT or something, and A pronouncing it "yummy", as is her wont.

I thanked our host, paid my regards to A who had suddenly taken up smoking, and left, practically sober, at 1 am. Women (customers) were up dancing on the bar. Who would have thought, Thursday night at Seven - dancing girls! Free!

A was having a great time on her visit back to Halifax, thanks mostly to C. In fact, I am sure I saw her up on the bar for a few seconds.

No comments: