Sunday, February 01, 2009

East is East

After attending a fun filled charity wine tasting at Bear, I managed to drag two younger women (than me, anyway) around the corner and into Morris East for a light supper. At least that was the idea. We were soon joined by one of the ladies' husbands.

Jenny Dobbs has done a great job here, and the place has matured since opening into, dare I say it... more than just a pizza joint since I blogged about it when it opened. She has also hired Joel Rousell to be chef. Joel is my favourite chef in town - he seems to almost cook for my palate. In the past my favourite meal one year was at his own place, Ketch Harbour House, and last year my favourite dish in Halifax was his gnocchi, made when he was chef at Saege. I am not kidding - I had to avoid walking down that part of Spring Garden Road, because I could not get past Saege without going in and ordering that dish.

This trip the menu has really expanded in the appetizers section. Wow! Rabbit and Apricot Terrine with toasted brioche; Joel's own Ketch Harbour Bresaola with an herb salad, In-house hot smoked salmon.... And the pizzas are better than before, with the crust now perfected.

The place is still patterned after jane's on the common, and the wine list takes a similar form. In fact, as we were eating jane of jane's came in to eat, as did Tesla-gal! Were were able to get a bottle of Cono Sur Riesling, a bottle waiting to get on to the list to enjoy with out meal. Try the Soppressata Salami, field mushrooms, and black truffle oil pizza, or the latest, the short rib pizza.

Morris East is worth a visit, for sure.

No comments: