Monday, February 23, 2009

Brooklyn Warehouse - on the Plateau

A raging snowstorm could not keep me from meeting up with my buddy J-rod last week for lunch at the Brooklyn Warehouse. I have been talking about going there for some time, but every plan always fell through.

Not this time. The space I liked before, when it was the ill fated Vivo, remains, somewhat altered but improved by the winter wind vestibule. I was pleased to see a variety of different beers on tap, including one prepared custom for them by Propeller from their Porter and Honey Wheat, blended to make "Brooklyn Dark". I ordered one and sat down to wait for my lunch companion, as I was early in my eagerness.

The wine list is short, but well balanced and not replete with the "NSLC employee fave of the decade" wines often seen out of the downtown. I was getting a good vibe, seeing my idea of referring to the flat part of Halifax where I live as "The Plateau" starting to make sense again. As in Montreal, where all my favourite places to eat are up on "the plateau".

J-rod arrived and ordered some healthy tea thing, I had my Brooklyn Dark going. I ordered some of the ham chowder, and a Brooklyn Burger (might as well test the place with a standard unit of measurement). J-rod orders the vegan soup, and a Quinoa/Roasted Beet/Diced Pear/Pumpkin Seed Salad with Umeboshi Plum Vinagrette.

Yep, we're compatible. Me and my burger and J-rod with the umeboshi stuff.

It was all good. The sever was attentive, non-intrusive, and the bill was easy.

I am coming back. Finally, a foil to jane's on the common up on the Plateau.

Halifax's neighbourhood to eat, dontcha know?

1 comment:

Brewnoser said...

Return visits have perhaps been even better. 8 thumbs up.