Sunday, May 06, 2007

Dry Brunch

It is odd how when you are thinking about someone, they pop up in your life for real sometimes. While I was writing the entry on Gina Haverstock (The Riesling Princess) she called me. Seems she was heading into Halifax, and was wondering if we were up for lunch at janes on the common, as she had yet to eat there.

It usually takes far less to mobilize L and I for that, and despite a late breakfast of steak and eggs, we soon find ourselves with Gina at my favourite table. I note that daughter number one is back working there, having just finished her environmental engineering program at Dal.

L orders the special, a deep dish pancake with fruit piled in, Gina has the turkey burger and I go back to my lunch fave there, the grilled cheese sandwich with the tomato butter. All very good, as usual.

For beverage, it was water, coffee, and Aranciata. Brunch with a winemaker and sommelier, and no wine was consumed! There are three wines on the list from Gina's employer (she works at Gaspereau, but Jost owns that winery and she is back and forth to the larger operation up on the Northumberland coast) but we buy none. I shall have to tease her about that.

We talk each other (I am blaming L) into a dessert course that further obligates us all to a walk around and through Point Pleasant Park. Gina had not yet seen Juan's legacy of damage there, and I had some work to do in the Park, and the dessert needed to be mitigated somehow.

Then home, in time to head out to supper at Phil's Seafood, and then the Aeolian Singers/Connie Kaldor concert at the Cohn.

A pretty good day in the city.

No comments: