Thursday, November 09, 2006

Chowhounding I

After my two days eating and drinking around Halifax with Jim Leff, he of chowhound.com fame, I have found myself returning to my previous "chowhounding" ways. That is, finding small, unlikely places that make great food....... and eating it of course. In company of my friend Peter, I had been in a groove of finding and eating at a lot of places we in Halifax now take for granted, prior to their becoming famous. We were regulars at Mexico Lindo back when they were up on Convoy Avenue next to the old laundromat. We almost felt like we personally discovered the old Sisters of the Carribean outlet in Dartmouth, and we were seeking out and finding places on a regular basis.

Look out, we're baaaaack!

So, here are my recommendations from recent Chowhounding in HRM

Bach's Cafe on Agricola - real Korean food. I usually order a soup/wonton thing with hot sauce and kimchee on the side.
Iqbals Grocery on Charles St. near Agricola - they moved a while ago, and at first glance this appears to be a samosa factory. But they serve great food to the 6 seats in front of the take out counter.
Smith's Bakery on Agricola and Charles (in sight of Iqbal's) - great lunches, not just baked goods from one of the city's last family bakeries (most small bakeries have left the tax-burdened HRM). I like the pasta bakes/lasagna when they have it.
Ranni's Roti Hut - In the old IGA store on the corner of Queen and Greene St. Not sure if I have the name right, but you won't miss it. Order lamb roti. Wonderful.
Scotia Square Food Court - The Indian and Korean places in there rock. Especially the Indian place on the days when they do a buffet - you load up your plate with what you want for I think $5.99.
Phil's Seafood - You probably know about this already, but it is the best Fish and Chips in town. On the Purcell's Cove Road across from the Armdale Yacht Club at Melville Cove, or in the newer location on Quinpool, near Preston.

Fine dining can have its place. But not every meal requires the finest silver too!

No comments: