Monday, November 09, 2009

The life and death of my favourite places

Restaurants, pubs, bars, clubs, whatever you want to call them. Places where we go to eat, drink and be social. They can work their way into our lives, becoming a part of our daily routines, weekly rituals or annual pilgrimages. They become important places to us.

I have not really mourned a lot of the damage done by this recent "economic downturn" or "correction" but lately, it has been hitting a bit too close to home. Too close to the wood on which my elbow sits.

There are some new places that have replaced them, but really, if I had my choice, I'd have them all available to go to.

So here is to Seven Restaurant and Wine Bar, where I enjoyed so many evenings with friends, late evenings.... and some wonderful meals with groups of people who all seemed so much more beautiful than I, because they were. To Dio Mio Gelato, one of my ritualistic stops on weekend summer morning walks. To the Soho Kitchen, where I learned to love foods my Mom never knew of and to think about healthy food for perhaps the first time in my life. To O'Carroll's where I first saw old, young and in between happily celebrating in a pub in Canada, just like in a village in Devon. And to the original Midtown Tavern and Grill, where so many laughs, debates, questionable steaks, and beers were had.

Now I have the Hart and Thistle, filling the Harbourfront space I once frequented so often, and resurrecting the pico-brewery there, complete with its last brewer, and most of O'Carroll's staff. The Smiling Goat, ready for my quick shot of double espresso as I duck in on my way downtown. Aroma Latino, where the smell of fried corn draws me in like a cartoon character wafted in without touching the ground. And, of course, to the new Midtown, where that same smell of questionable steaks advertises lunchtime on Grafton Street, just a block away.

Maybe a new place will come along that draws me away from Tom's Little Havana for more than I spend there, but I think bigger forces will be required for that to happen. Unfortunately, they are out there, but I'll just hope they stay away for now.

No comments: