Saturday, September 15, 2007

Getting Churched with Hynes and Gauthier

Sitting around the living room, drinking, and getting ready for the upcoming concert featuring Ron Hynes and Mary Gauthier, I remarked on whether our activity was totally appropriate given that both performers have quite a history with abuse of what we were currently intaking. Then I poured myself another glass of wine.

On arriving at the venue, St. John's United Church, some things became a bit more clear. This congregation is apparently soon to be an "affirming" one. I guess this means they will soon announce that their version of their imaginary god-friend does not hate people who happen to have the incorrectly fitting body parts to reproduce with the people they love. I don't know about you, but my imaginary friend drinks a lot, and laughs at people who pay too much attention to their imaginary friends. (Hey, do you think we are made in the image of our imaginary friends, or vice versa?) Sorry, I digress. This church is probably a fairly liberal congregation, and that would make it an agreeable host to the folkie crowd in town.

I've seen them both before (Hynes several times) and have most of their music. Hynes may have had some religious moments during some points in his life, but really, he has a lot of the "divil" in him. He certainly has a fair number of songs about transgressions and penance, the latter mostly self inflicted. Mary Gauthier probably was a regular as a child, but would likely not have been allowed in church after she clearly expressed her interest in women over men. Suffice it to say that the location felt a bit incongruous at the start.

But then there we were, all gazing up at the soaring ceiling of St. John's United Church on Windsor Street, watching Ron Hynes gazing up at the same ceiling, communing with his old buddy Gene MacLellan, singing "Godspeed" as convincingly as I think he can. Ron's show was perhaps the best I have ever seen him, and it was not in the Ship Inn, and I did not have a beer in my hand! He is a master craftsman at the art of songwriting, and the depth and quality of his material shone through on this evening. Heck, even Sonny's Dream, which he seems to have let back into his life now, was not that bad. I've only heard it about 10,000 times, mostly sung by drunken people who forget the words (this includes Ron, but not on this occasion).

Mary Gauthier came on and immediately cast a friendly spell over the place. I am not sure if it was the cool little tinted John Lennon glasses, or her relaxed "aw shucks" stage presence, but I knew we were in for a great set. Having seen her four years ago at StanFest, and buying all her music I could find, I knew the songs, but not the force with which she can now deliver them, all on her own. And, as usual, I am a sucker for in between song palaver, even though I know they say the same things every night, night after night.

She gave a great show, mixing in some requests, some older songs, and some new ones (her latest album is apparently coming out the end of September). "Wheel Inside the Wheel" was her most powerful offering, with an intertwining guitar riff that seemed as if there was some electronic toy involved, but at the same time, you knew there wasn't. Camelot Motel was preceded by a great intro on how the song came about, followed by a rendition that was both touching and humorous.

This was billed as part of, or a fundraiser for (depending on whether it made money), the "In the Dead of Winter" festival, which I so enjoyed last winter. The 350 odd people there with me enjoyed themselves - I hope they all come out in January for the festival.

No comments: